September 12, 2009

The Van Jones that Glenn Beck Doesn't Know


I haven't talked much about Van Jones. He's the young guy that resigned earlier this month from his position as an advisor to the President. His resignation was a direct result of videotapes and petitions from a number of years ago being brought to public attention by Fox News. Some call it nothing more than right-wing smears.

Jones was forced to leave the White House quietly and without any fanfare. There are many who feel that his career as a voice for the poor is legendary. In fact, the folks at the Brave New Foundation featured him as part of their Brave Nation series. Check it out:




What are your thoughts on Van Jones? Or on the circumstances surrounding his resignation?

4 comments:

msladyDeborah said...

Villager,

I have been impressed with Van's Green Jobs Movement since he unveiled it to the public. He has a solid plan that can move economically streseed communities into a different direction.

I was/am put off by the lack of support that shown to him by the Obama Administration. Surely, someone there knew about his background prior to Beck's attacks.

I'm a member of the Color of Change. I suspect the campaign to have sponsors pull their support of Beck for remarks made about Obama being a racist has a whole lot to do with his counterattack.

It is too bad that Van had to go out in the manner that he did. However, I suspect that he will re-group and continue to forward his plan for green collar economic development.

You know it's funny how threatening community organizers can be to conservatives.

Unknown said...

Lady D - Politics on the national stage is brutal. I don't think that Van would have had any difficulty staying in his White House job except for the story that he signed a petition indicating that Bush/American Gov't caused 9/11 attack. I think that was a bridge too far...

I agree that the brother should be able to rebound. He has skillz...

Unknown said...

when I first heard about the story My mind went immediately to the countless number of petitions I have signed and then I thought of various blog posts that I have written and letters I have sent with a cause (especially Darfur).
We can not live our lives in fear of what may happen in the future or worrying about what happened in the past. We do what we do and move on. This is a young man with a plan and a mission and I am sure that God isn't done with him yet!
Politics is, what it is and this should no longer surprise people. when someone feels threatened they attack, I believe he will rebound and continue his work.
I'm sure he was thoroughly vetted, which shows support in my eyes. But He was probably told, "Dude you are in for now but if this ish hits the fan...Cest La vie!"

Unknown said...

Regina - I saw a headline recently indicating that the Green Party wants Van Jones to take over leadership of their political party...